06 December 2007

Four degrees of separation

While preparing my materials to apply for academic positions I figured out that I have an Erdős number.  An Erdős number is much like a Bacon number, the number of movie links from an actor to Kevin Bacon.  For example, Stephen Merchant was in Hot Fuzz with Lucy Punch, who was in Being Julia with Maury Chaykin, who was in Where the Truth Lies with Kevin Bacon, and there's no shorter chain, so Stephen Merchant's Bacon number is 3.

Paul Erdős was a famous mathematician and a prolific publisher of academic papers.  He wrote a paper with Douglas B. West, who wrote a paper with Clyde P. Kruskal, who wrote a paper with Ron K. Cytron, who wrote a paper with me.  So my Erdős number is 4.

Danica McKellar has an Erdős number of 4 and a Bacon number of 2.  I still have no Bacon number.  I'll have to work on that.

3 Comments:

At 13 December, 2007 23:41, Blogger Sara said...

I am patiently waiting for your post on the newest baseball "revelations", if you want to call them that.

In the meantime, for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PypklfMnhw

 
At 13 December, 2007 23:43, Blogger Sara said...

I am also partial to this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jSWwtqr6IQ&feature=related

 
At 14 December, 2007 15:15, Blogger Rob said...

How did you know that Music for Airports is one of my favorite albums?

I don't have much to say about the Mitchell Report that hasn't been said already.  Many of the players mentioned aren't too surprising—Roger Clemens has looked roided out since the late '90s and never would have lasted so long without the juice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home