29 June 2007

Fun with nostrils

A long time ago I noticed that I breathe almost solely through just one nostril at any one time.  The "open" nostril seems to switch back and forth fairly regularly.  I've asked others about it and I've never found anyone who knows what I'm talking about.  I remember asking my biology teacher in high school, and when he said he had never heard of such a condition I got a little worried, but I never did anything about it.

Well, it turns out that I'm not crazy or broken after all:  I just found that this phenomenon is called the nasal cycle and it's perfectly normal.  What a relief!  I guess most people just never notice it.

It may be that I noticed it because, for some reason, breathing through my right nostril is more comfortable than through my left.  Also, when my head is on its side for a while, the nostril on top tends to open up sooner.  That's why I always go to sleep on my side with my right side up and my left side down.

I just couldn't help sharing these revelations.

1 Comments:

At 23 July, 2007 11:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, just when a Mom thinks she know alot about her kid!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home