20 August 2007

My genes and I

My genes built me as a way to pass themselves on.

They built me to feel good after sex so I'd reproduce.

They built me to feel good after eating and exercising so I'd survive long enough to reproduce.

They built me to feel good after solving problems so I'd be able to handle situations not often seen before (and so I'd be able to convince someone to help me reproduce).

And that's where they screwed up.

Because my genes built me to feel better after solving an interesting problem than I do after sex, eating or exercise.  In fact, when I'm working on an interesting research problem at school, I often forget about everything else, including meals.  And I'm almost 31 years old and still don't feel a strong desire to have my own children.

The body my genes built no longer shares their priorities.

My genes outwitted themselves.

6 Comments:

At 25 August, 2007 15:31, Blogger Robert S. Price Jr. said...

It's too bad I don't have the same problem. My genes hate solving interesting problems and would rather get drunk and fornicate. Alot.

 
At 27 August, 2007 17:30, Blogger Rob said...

That's why your genes are more likely to be in the next generation than mine.  Anyway, there's nothing wrong with being rewarded by your genes with happiness for different behaviors.  What's important is that we understand ourselves well enough to know what makes us happy without being slaves to our genes or our culture.  Free will rocks!

 
At 28 August, 2007 12:18, Blogger Rob said...

At least you'll be happy drunk laid bastards.  But it's a good thing some people enjoy having kids and solving interesting problems.

 
At 28 August, 2007 13:49, Blogger Rob said...

Woman Overjoyed By Giant Uterine Parasite

 
At 02 September, 2007 17:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should reward your genes for doing such a good job by giving them what they really want. Hardworking genes, like yours, deserve to reproduce.

 
At 19 September, 2007 09:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about combining research and sex? Oh, it's been done before -- too bad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home