21 January 2008

Juno

This weekend I finally found time to see Juno.  I love good movies, the kind full of realistic, complex characters that generally mean well and almost make me feel what it's like to be someone else.  They shake me up a bit from my routine of being me, even make me think about who I am and (even subtle) ways I might easily be different.  The first scene has two characters trading impossibly clever lines, and I worried that everyone in the movie would talk like that, but each character turned out to have their own style.  Lots of great dialogue from a first-time screenwriter.  According to Wikipedia, director Jason Reitman's influences are Stanley Kubrick, Kevin Smith, Wes Anderson, Richard Linklater, Alexander Payne and Paul Thomas Anderson.  Can't do much better than that!  I think we're living in a golden age of cinema.

I also watched Superman III.  Superman III deeply offends me as a computer scientist, but it sure is stupid fun.  Christopher Reeve's dignified performance is remarkable in such a silly movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home