11 March 2008

Big computer science

I've been busy trying to finish up my Ph.D. and find a faculty position in computer science.  A week ago today I spent all day at the airport trying to get to a campus interview, but the snow was too heavy and each new flight I was put on was eventually cancelled.  So the interview was postponed a week.  Tomorrow's weather shouldn't be a problem, but for good luck I'll be listening to one of my favorite albums, Laurie Anderson's Big Science, while I wait for the flight.  A lyrical excerpt:

Here come the planes.
They're American planes.  Made in America.
Smoking or non-smoking?
And the voice said:  Neither snow nor rain nor gloom
of night shall stay these couriers from the swift
completion of their appointed rounds.

On the other hand, the first song on the album tells a story of an airline pilot who turns out to be a malicious prankster.  Maybe I'll skip that one.

2 Comments:

At 27 July, 2008 01:02, Blogger Eric D. Dixon said...

For a long time, one of my favorite "Big Science" lyrics was a passage that I misheard. I thought she said:

"I could write a book on this book. It would be thick enough to stun an ox."

But she really said:

"I could write a book, and this book... would be thick enough to stun an ox."

Next favorite line:

"Your eyes... it's a day's work, just looking into them."

I may just have to pull out my VOB files of the "Home of the Brave" laserdisc now...

 
At 29 July, 2008 17:36, Blogger Rob said...

Cool!  I'm always flattered when really intelligent people share my weird tastes in music.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home